Location: Fredericksburg, Virginia, USA
Built: During the 1770s
The Kenmore Plantation covered a massive 1,300 acres of land, and was built during the 1770s by Colonel Fielding and Betty Lewis before the Revolutionary War. Colonel Lewis, an extremely successful member of the planting industry, was an established merchant, which helped fund his extravagant building project. Although he died in 1781, the plantation remained in the Lewis family for sixteen years after his demise.
After changing hands, the plantation was sold to several different other families. In 1819, it was sold to the Gordons, who renamed it “Kenmore Plantation” after their ancestral home in Scotland. When the Civil War came around, the plantation served as a Union field hospital.
When it comes to the hauntings, Kenmore Plantation is the home of Colonel Fielding Lewis’ apparition. He’s been seen in 1770s-era clothing at his desk studying papers. His presence can be felt strongly downstairs. The sound of footsteps and turning door knobs have been heard.